Recently I had to format and reinstall my laptop. I took significant time to copy my documents safely before formatting and then I reinstalled the OS and the essential software. I use most of the software with some customizations and settings and they require manual work. I do this because they give me real comfort and personalization.
Google Chrome Sync
Currently, I am a fan of Google Chrome Browser and not just because it is faster and secure than other browsers, but the way it takes care of user interfacing experience. My most recent good experience was with its Sync feature.
When I saw the sync feature in the options menu of Google Chrome, I thought to give it a try. So I signed up sync account with my Google account but did not test it until I reinstalled my Operating System. When I freshly installed Google Chrome, the first thing I did was to sign in the sync account and was surprised to see that Chrome was installing all the plugins automatically that I was using and my browser was made almost exactly I had before formatting my laptop.
I went further to use this feature on my Ubuntu Operating System, and with no surprise, I was able to make an exact copy of my personalized browser instantly. This not only reduces the chances of accidentally losing my important bookmarks and preferences but also lets me control my personalizations of plugins and themes.
The sync feature is far more convenient compared to the import/export feature that most browsers do have. They might be helping when sharing my browser’s bookmarks to other people.
A big advantage of Sync feature over import/export feature is that once you have set up a sync account, you can forget about it and keep doing your important works.
How to Setup a Sync Account?
- Click the tool icon on the top right part of Google Chrome. It will show the menu.
- Click Options from the menu which will open a new tab of options page as shown in the first image.
- Under Personal Stuff tab find and click Set up sync… button. A sign-in box will open up.
- After logging in with your Google Account, you will see set up sync box allowing you options of what to sync. Select the options you wish to sync and hit OK.
- It will sync your present Bookmarks, Extensions, Themes, and other selected information. It’s done.
Subscribe to Rakesh Tembhurne
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox